Saturday, May 4, 2013

BERLIN BEAUTY

Berlin Beauty is a long term project created by the photographer Petrov Ahner in 2011 focusing on portrait series and projects reflecting the way of life in contemporary Berlin.

Contradicted Berlin
Often in Berlin, you can find both ugliness and beauty occurring at the same moment and place. It is this contradiction which makes the city exceptional and challenging. Next to this Berlins vast and undefined spaces give the opportunity to experience beauty by experimenting with it.

Petrov Ahner explains: "People and faces represent, leave an imprint, create the look and rhythm of a city. Next to its architecture, history, politics and landscape they are the living and creating part of it, they reflect the city as the city reflects them.

For this project, the participant have to chose their own location, styling and look. Also they have to write a short text about their relationship with Berlin.

My personal contribution for Berlin Beauty:

Photo taken at Friedrichshain/Berghain, Feb 2013 © petrov ahner

Indulged in a pool of identity
For the location of the shoot, I chose the best techno club of the world: Berghain. Of course. This place is incomparable and the people who got in know what I mean. My outfit was a comparison with day and night - the stars, the light, the darkness. And there were more hidden symbols in this picture to describe my relationship with Berlin, which you can find in the text I've written:

"When the nights are long and the days are short, I’ll have to follow the place where I stay. It says it all that Berlin has touched me deeply with its vortexes of creativity and ambiguity.

Indulged in a pool of identity, Berlin creates a progressive joint-compound of relationships, even though the characters differ. They contain a group of forms who present their individual identity, who are largely lost. So close to each other but yet isolated without direct environment.

The avant-garde, progressive and hip atmosphere surrounds me when walking through Berlin. Words in each colour and form are dancing before my eyes while the beats of the city are singing in my blood.

Berlin is, with its subdued monochromatic character, like an old black and white movie to me. Filled and surrounded by contradictions. Brutal and beautiful. Present and absent. Convex and concave. Scarce and abundant. All at once.

I’m not too early nor too late. I arrived here in time. What I was searching for, I have found. And Berlin found me."